By Nancy Dahlberg
1 Miami Dade College, Facebook to develop digital marketing curriculum
Miami Dade College will partner with Facebook to develop a specialized curriculum to train MDC students, startups, small business owners and professionals in digital marketing, MDC President Dr. Eduardo J. Padrón announced Tuesday as part of the Facebook Community Boost program.
“At MDC, it is our mission to empower our students to be trendsetters and changemakers. This partnership will undoubtedly teach our students invaluable digital marketing strategies and prepare them for the challenges of the 21st century economy,” President Padrón said.
Facebook Community Boost is a 50-city program offering free in-person training, advice and digital skills to help entrepreneurs and job seekers grow a business or a career and compete in today’s economy. If you missed Tuesday morning’s sessions, there are more opportunities this week (through Thursday morning, Dec. 20) at the James L. Knight Center. Register at fcbmiami.splashthat.com.
MDC and Facebook plan to co-develop a College Credit Certificate that builds upon the MDC's existing Digital Marketing Management Certificate. Both certificate programs can be used toward the college's associate's degree in marketing planned for roll-out in fall 2019.
Using Facebook’s Blueprint Curriculum, MDC’s Idea Center will also offer digital marketing workshops for Miami’s entrepreneurial community.
2 Boatsetter lures in top talent to guide its mission
Boatsetter, the Fort Lauderdale-based online peer-to-peer boat rental marketplace, has made two key executive appointments.
Reporting to the CEO Jaclyn Baumgarten, Cristian Martinez will be COO, overseeing Boatsetter's day-to-day business operations and long-term strategy and goals. He last worked at Facebook, where he was the country director for Mexico and, before that, he was Facebook's head of US multicultural sales.
Julian Geffriaud, a mobile growth expert, was named chief growth officer, responsible for leveraging customer insights, product analytics and marketing performance data for creating new product features. Prior to joining Boatsetter, he served as CMO for Noverde, a Brazilian-based financial startup, and was head of growth at 99Taxis, the first startup in Latin America valued at over US$1B.
"It's a privilege to have world-class talent joining our company's leadership team as we grow and scale to become the global leader in providing the best in on-the-water experiences," said Baumgarten.
3 Endeavor Miami’s companies on track to generate $200M in revenue
On the heels of its 5-year anniversary gala, Endeavor Miami released its impact report this week. Endeavor Miami, launched in 2013, accelerates the growth of its entrepreneurs by providing them access to talent, capital, markets and mentorship.
Here are a few highlights from the 88-page report:
- This year, Endeavor Miami Entrepreneurs are expected to generate nearly $200 million in revenue, up 200% over last year, and more than 2,000 jobs, up 130%.
- Endeavor reviewed 200 companies this year and iprovided 496 hours of mentorship.
- Nearpod, Finconecta, Ecosystems, VoyHoy and Elma Farms were selected into Endeavor’s global network in 2018.
- Endeavor received $2 million in funding support from the Knight Foundation and $100,000 from the City of Miami.
Some highlights of its Entrepreneurs:
- My Ceviche, one of Endeavor’s Entrepreneurs of the Year, has created 200 jobs across 10 locations
- Boatsetter, also Entrepreneur of the Year, acquired and integrated Boatbound and Smart Charter Ibiza and entered into a strategic partnership with Airbnb.
- Wyncode graduated 670 students in 2018, with a 90% overall job placement rate.
- EY partnered with SheWorks! to accelerate the SheWorks! platform to maximize opportunities for women in the gig economy. The goal: create opportunities for 100,000 women by 2020.
- Chargello, a 2017 inductee, grows to 25 countries within two years of operation.
Plus … About last night ...
Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg takes a selfie with members of Miami's new Latinas in Tech chapter after giving a talk at a Lean In Latinas event Monday night at Sacred Space Miami. Photo courtesy of social media.
Have tips or feedback? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and follow her on Twitter @ndahlberg.
- 5 things to know in #MiamiTech: Ryan Cohen to be GameStop chairman, the REEF robots deliver, opportunity knocks – and more - April 9, 2021
- Miami Dade College, SoftBank team up to offer a path to prosperity in data science - April 8, 2021
- Ana Paula Gonzalez to head SoftBank’s Miami Initiative - April 6, 2021