SCOPE OF WORK AND ROLE DESCRIPTION
DIRECTOR, OPPORTUNITY CONNECT
Opportunity Connect is a neighborhood-based initiative that aligns new and existing resources to support low-to-middle income small business owners to achieve economic mobility through entrepreneurship. Our aim is to elevate BIPOC-led businesses to overcome the institutionalized challenges that hinder business growth.
Opportunity Connect develops deep community trust and relationships that connect BIPOC entrepreneurs to capital and opportunity through a four-pillar approach: (1): business planning training; (2): character based and alternative lending; (3): one-on-one technical assistance and individualized business growth consulting; and (4): physical location/ real estate and retail incubation.
With strategic support from aīre ventures, a venture studio that scales initiatives that address systemic gaps in access, opportunity and racial equity through technology, entrepreneurial and innovative platforms, Opportunity Connect is being incubated into a stand-alone community-based organization with a vision to sustainably support 300 entrepreneurs in multiple communities across South Florida by 2025.
Our partners at aīre ventures have the capacity to scale impact and we’re looking for talented, purpose-driven individuals to join us, be the principal lead of this dynamic multi-organization initiative and continue the development of Opportunity Connect to be self-sustaining and impactful with the support of the aire ventures strategy team.
We look, feel, and operate like a startup. This environment also creates great opportunities to be creative and to design new projects that will take our mission, and particularly the vision for our work to the next level. We believe in experiments as a way of learning. And, people, purpose and impact serve as our guide.
Title: Director, Opportunity Connect
Start Date: Immediately
Compensation: $70,000 – $75,000
Hours: Approximately 40 – 45 hours per week (Full-time, salaried with benefits)
Location: Remote in the Miami, FL/South Florida area (local in-person community outreach and engagement required within safety protocols)
Level: Executive Management
The Opportunity Connect (OC) Director is in charge of the overall operations of the entrepreneur support initiative from planning through implementation including scaling and transitioning OC to an independent business entity and expanding to multiple neighborhood sites. The OC Director oversees a small team to successfully perform their role of managing the time, people, activities, and resources needed to effectively support existing and aspiring BIPOC entrepreneur communities.
- Lead Opportunity Connect through strategic planning (both short and long-term), establishing effective collaborative partnerships, developing and executing marketing and fundraising strategies, and creative impact storytelling
- Provide innovative thinking and intentionality throughout the process of project planning and execution, performing activities with longer-term goals in mind
- Seize opportunities to influence the future direction of the initiative via thought leadership and direct mentorship
- Initiates timely changes needed to improve the team’s effectiveness towards meeting strategic priorities
- Demonstrates sound judgment to make good decisions based on information gathered and analyzed
- Help the team set clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring continuous feedback loops, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly
- Maintain a high level of efficiency and self-direction – devotes appropriate amount of time to each situation (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer)
- Responsible for the careful oversight of all the internal administration and operations of the initiative including data collection, fundraising, finances, and reporting
- Create/consider existing and potential systems and processes to increase efficiency and automation where appropriate
- Excellent attention to detail and adept at juggling multiple priorities
- Ensure initiative’s strategy is on track for success, seeking advice/feedback and collaborating when needed
- Build and manage a high performing team, so team members are engaged and understand priorities and expectations
- Share information, advice, and feedback to help team be more successful
- Provide effective coaching and mentorship to those with a range of skills and competencies
- Make sound decisions in difficult, time sensitive, high risk and/or ambiguous situations
- Is curious and driven to understand things that are not first understood, as well as not afraid to ask questions and seek support when needed
- Work with aīre ventures to oversee and report on all finance and accounting processes for the general operations (understand P&L, tracking costs, etc.).
- Act as an ambassador for Opportunity Connect in all facets of their role
- Serve as an advocate for BIPOC entrepreneurship, well versed in the equity, entrepreneurial, and systemic challenges business owners face
- Able to plan and deliver impactful and persuasive oral and written communications to a variety of intended audiences, including entrepreneurs, government officials, funders, strategic partners and more
- Create and maintain clear channels of communication between everyone involved in projects, whether internal or external to the organization
- Lead and develop strong relationships with internal and external teams, advisory groups/committees, partners, funders, entrepreneurs and others
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships in the communities where Opportunity Connect currently works and prospective expansion neighborhoods
- Aware of nuanced interpersonal dynamics and displays a high level of emotional intelligence and empathy at all times
- Represent initiative and/or organization in community functions and activities to increase initiative awareness and garner support from stakeholders
- A bachelor’s degree in any field. Advanced degrees add significant value.
- You strive for a high-impact, low-ego working style, have a passion for working with others (being collaborative) and a deep commitment to mission and team.
- You are goal-oriented, driven, determined, highly energetic, hard-working, an out-of-the-box thinker and unfailingly dependable
- 5+ years of management experience instilling trust and credibility with your team while guiding, developing, coaching, and managing individual and team performance towards a common goal.
- Strong demonstrated interest and/or past experience in entrepreneurship, inclusion, social impact, racial equity, and/or cultivating the local innovation ecosystem
- Excellent stakeholder, organizational, and project management skills
- Displays high levels of initiative and motivation. You are able to work autonomously and stay focused on the job at hand. Understand the big picture of each project and the company, but also are able to drill deep into each project to establish what needs to be done and when.
- Willingness to learn new skills and adapt to the needs of the organization
- Desire to connect with the innovation community in and outside of Overtown and other other predominantly low-to-moderate income BIPOC communities in South Florida and beyond
- Good listener. You know when it is pertinent to speak and when it is better to be quiet. Highly developed self-awareness and leadership skills.
- Delivers well ahead of deadlines.
- Proficient with Google Suite, with other advanced computer skills desired
- Review this deck and video here. If our vision for impact resonates with you, you may be a good fit
aīre ventures, Inc.’s policy is to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetics, or other protected classes prohibited by applicable law. Further, we take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. We do not tolerate discrimination of any type or form.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
Comments are closed for this post.